My name is Lizzie Chadbourne and I am in love with every product that I make and sell. My passion for natural beauty grew out of an interest in crafting, an enthusiasm about herbalism, and a recognition that I could treat my body better. After years of education, experimenting, and research - and with an improving complexion - I started Lo & Behold because I knew I had something special to offer that was making people happy. My mission was for Lo & Behold to maintain an uncommon air of fun while exceeding the highest standards of the natural care industry.
I feel lucky to be achieving my goals as a small business owner in my home state. North Carolina’s natural beauty inspires me and I’m excited to be finding a meaningful niche in its community. I source as many local ingredients as possible from small farmers and work with other independent, local companies, including using original artwork from NC artists for the product labels. A few years of selling at local craft and farmers’ markets has given me the opportunity to incorporate customer feedback into my product design. I am very proud that my products are carried by over 30 independently owned businesses.
One of my favorite aspects of my business is partnering with a Durham-based nonprofit, Partners for Youth Opportunity, which provides gainful professional experience to youth affected by poverty, immigration, and incarceration. Interns at Lo & Behold gain exposure to a broad spectrum of small-business experience while saving money for college. After three years of growing with the help of PYO interns, I am excited to become a mentor with the program and I plan to continue growing Lo & Behold by working with PYO and their students.
Thank you for your interest in Lo & Behold. I promise that when you try Lo & Behold, you will love the textures and aromas, experience noticeable results, and will look forward to using the products day and night. I love to hear from customers! Please contact me if you have any questions about the products or thoughts about natural skin care.
Lo & Behold is a 100% natural body care company based in Durham, NC. Using only the purest ingredients, we bring an air of delight to your day by handcrafting products with alluring aromas, luscious textures, and original local artwork. Lo & Behold brings you an entire globe of exotic botanicals while remaining sustainable and true to our roots through our local partnerships with dedicated and innovative NC farmers, cultivators, producers, nonprofits, and markets. We are committed to responsibly sourcing our ingredients and creating products that are gentle and versatile. Our products are never tested on animals - only friends and family - and are 100% free of: parabens, sulfates, petroleum, and synthetic ingredients like artificial fragrances and preservatives.
- 100% Natural Ingredients.
- Handcrafted and made fresh in small batches.
- A little goes a long way: No fillers - just pure ingredients, each having a specific purpose and benefit for the skin.
- Responsible Sourcing: Packed with certified organic, fair trade, locally grown, unrefined and cold-pressed ingredients.
- Alluring Aromas: Each product is designed with the scenting attention of a fine perfume. These unique aromas are created with essential oils and are never overpowering.
- Recyclable and Environmentally Friendly: Packaging is primarily glass and aluminum, with minimal use of plastics. All orders are shipped using recycled materials.
- Every product is gluten-free.
- Vegan options: Except for lip balms and hand salves (which contain beeswax), every product is vegan.
- Versatile: Each product can be used in a multitude of ways. For example, all scented lip balms double as aromatherapy balms!
- Safe for the Whole Family: Healthy options for young children and for use during pregnancy.
- Carefully formulated to work gently for extra sensitive skin.
- No nut oils: With the exception of Argan oil in our Facial Serum and Beard and Hair Oil, all products are free of nut oils. Many products contain coconut, which is not a botanical nut and is usually safe for those with tree-nut allergies.
- No parabens, sulfates, alcohols, petroleum, artificial fragrances, artificial preservatives, or synthetic ingredients.
- Never tested on animals.
- Handmade and reusable store displays made with reclaimed wood by Five Fork Studio in Chapel Hill. Even our displays are environmentally friendly!
- Labels are locally designed by Suzy of Davie Paper Co. and feature both her artwork and original artwork from Raleigh based artist Amy Richards Illustration.